Thursday, May 2, 2013

Reflections

Overall, this project taught me how to better understand generalized anxiety disorder considering the context of its medicalized history and how it is represented within the media. During my research, I found that there was much more that has yet to be thoroughly researched about the disorder. Why does it appear in mostly women? Why is it a “white” condition? Has it been implicated with colonialism at all? How does it manifest across nations outside of the U.S.? I hope for this project to not be the end of my education on this subject as I continue my own struggle with my mental and physical well-being. Well I remain unsure of whether to categorize my anxiety as mere stress or something worth being medicalized, this project has encouraged me to take these feelings and thoughts seriously as I move forward in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment